PDA

View Full Version : 'That Which Can Not Be Taken Away' a WNC Camping/Training/M & G. Oct 28-30, 2011

snare
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey All !

We are planning a get together here in Western North Carolina !

What:
For things that can not be taken away. Community, Knowledge and Skill.
This is an opportunity to meet and greet others, for training and fun !

Likely training topics:

-Emergency Care (taught by a former wilderness paramedic who has been a prepper for a long time).

-Land Navigation

-Stick Fighting

When:
October 28-30th, 2011
Feel free to just come for Saturday to Sunday or even for just a day, if that is what you can do.

Where:
In Pisgah National Forest. PM / then email me for more details.
Camping will be in a primitive campground site(s) with no facilities, but road accessible.

Feel free to offer your own class/skillshare if you'd like (just let us know beforehand).

Looking forward to seeing you around the campfire !

Hawkeye
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I would love to make this if I were closer and/or had the time.

snare
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I would love to make this if I were closer and/or had the time.

And I'd love for you to be there man, you could do that traveling camo fashion show thing you do.:p

snare
10-17-2011, 04:49 PM
We are adding two other classes/sessions.

One is Introduction to Kettlebells. This will include instruction in at least 3-4 kettlebell exercises. Everyone should get something out of this, even if you are experienced with kettlebells.

The other is a Joint Mobility program. We will be doing head to toe mobility exercises. This will increase your range of motion as well as maintain/develop strength unlike static stretching. This is not static stretching.

Both of these sessions will be lead by a former Personal Trainer with extensive strength and conditioning experience.

Of course, all classes are optional.

Hope to see you there.

Not_Yet_Prepped
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Snare,

It looks like a good time. I hope I can make it out!

snare
10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Snare,

It looks like a good time. I hope I can make it out!

Thanks man, I've been putting a lot of time into this.

I hope you can make it too.

Free, quality training is a rare blessing.

Hawk_308
10-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I would love to come out there but my wife is going to be very close to her due date then so Im staying around home but if yall do one next spring or year some time count me in .

snare
10-21-2011, 09:57 AM
One week until this happens !

Hawk 308,

I would love to do something like this 3-4 times a year. If we can find some private property to do it on, we'd be able to offer so much more.

Hawk_308
10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
The land is always the trick , I tried to get the ok on a 1000+ acre block of land a few years ago for a camp that was family land but got to much crap from some of the family that didnt live here so I dropped it . I have access to some blocks of land that are ok for shooting rifles out to 300 yards but to high of a volume of fire normally draws attention from some of the neighbors. Its about impossible to find land that is big enough to hike and that you can shoot and camp on .

snare
10-26-2011, 08:57 PM
This weekend is just around the corner !

If you can make it, you will not be disappointed.

Hawk 308,

I hear ya. Looking for someplace around here too. To be honest I think a lot can be done with no live fire or minimal live fire. So even just a place where you can freely move around with rifles would be a blessing.

Lowdown3
11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
How did it end up going? AAR?

snare
11-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for asking !

Over the course of the days right before and even down to hours before and during the day on Saturday, each person that said they were going to make it said they no longer could or just never made it. We waited there until late Saturday, no one called.

So, interestingly, no one showed.

This was a great opportunity for some great training and a chance to camp in the beautiful,fall colored mountains and meet like minded others.

It was free and as a long time educator and observer of people. People often do not value what they are given. This is well known among educators and is a consideration that is given serious thought when deciding to offer something from your heart. Should I charge or shouldn't I?

I may set another one up for spring time.

1Admin
11-05-2011, 09:52 PM
These things are slow to get started. I remember the first GA public campout we hosted about 9 years ago now. It was all close "friends" of ours except 1 couple from S.C. and a "new guy" (at the time) from GA. The new guy has hung around the GA and FL campouts ever since. He regularly tells people how it was a leap of faith for him to come to that first one but how he was glad he did.

Sometimes a afternoon commitment of time is easier for folks and a way to get acquainted prior to committing to a weekend. If their is a public range in your area, host an afternoon range meet and grill some burgers. Food and shooting tends to bring our type of people out in droves ;)

If nothing else, it's about 5 hours from Charlotte area to where we host the GA campout, your always welcome to come down. Good crew from FL and GA attend.

snare
11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I have planned and held different types of events for many years and I will say that preppers are the hardest to get to do anything.

I imagine part of it is PERSEC concerns and part of it is paranoia. And unfortunately, as a thread was written about on here, many preppers are stockpilers and feel that alone will suffice. Training is a low priority. Hence, the title of the event. It's about mindset as much as anything else.

This event was specifically set up so someone could attend for an afternoon, a day or the whole weekend.

There is a public range about an hour west of here but it only has five lanes. It is always busy on weekends and with it being 'deer hunter zeroing' time of year I wouldn't go there and expect to shoot with two people let alone a group.

I appreciate your comments/suggestions and greatly appreciate the invite ! Thanks !

1Admin
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
It's not much different than the cliche about 80/20. Although I think it's actually much lower in the current preparedness movement. Realistically more like 90/10.

Of those 10% you'll have issues with:

*Some thinking it's not important- all I need is the internet and my zip drives of information they never try to do anything with.

*Some that won't make the effort- that's the "well if you host one in my backyard I'll try to make it" types. They'll never come so don't waste your time on them. Lazy people are lazy people, they can always find an excuse. Had one idjit on another board tell me that our FL campout was "no good" cause it was 4 hours from him. He felt like an idjit when I told him I drive almost 6 hours down just to host the darn thing and others drive much further! You can't do anything about lazy people, they will always have an excuse.

*For A very small percentage opsec will be an issue. Much less now than in the 90's. Quite the contrary we have had to have more than few OPSEC related talks at campouts as the trend was for people to let out MORE info than was necessary!

The real issue is that 95% of the people in the movement look at it more as a "hobby" than a lifestyle. Honestly, some of them should take up golf instead.

If I were you, I'd host a couple lunch type meet and greets, get some buzz going in your area and a year or so from now try again. Don't stop doing it, just get a handful of folks you know will be there and keep moving forward.

Good luck.

MustangGal
11-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Snare - That just stinks! But, don't feel like it is just preppers. I am working on my teaching degree. To move into the next step of the program, we have to pass the Praxis I test. Two of the instructors at our school have created a three day seminar - only one hour, one day a week for three weeks. On Thursdays I don't have any classes, but I drove an hour to be at the seminar. I was the only student there. Not to sound like I am bragging, but I am an honor student, I'm pretty sure I would be fine without the seminars. There are some in my class who desperately need the seminars. I felt terrible for the instructors.

So, I hate it for you. But, it isn't just preppers. :(