PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Georgia Campout October 11-13

Lowdown3
07-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Located just outside of Douglas, Georgia at General Coffee State park. From Douglas, take Hwy 32 EAST towards Nichols, it will be the FIRST ENTRANCE on the left hand side. Go through the gate and follow the paved road ALL the way to the back where their is a gate and a warning about gopher turtles. The Pioneer camp area is beyond that gate. Sometimes the park rangers come along and lock the gate, sometimes they don't. They will not give me the gate code till the MORNING of check in. We will post it on the forums LATER in the morning and also, it will be on the voice message of my cell at 912.375.1480 You can always ask at the front office of the park for the gate code.

When you come in the gate CLOSE IT but you do not need to lock it with the padlock, just put the padlock in place so it LOOKS like it's locked.

As always, we are camping at the Pioneer campgrounds at the back of the park. This is nice cause it gives us a little seclusion from the rest of the park. Hence, no worries about SHTF discussions around the campfire bringing unwanted attention.

Setup day is Friday any time after noon. Plan on leaving by mid morning on Sunday. Your welcome to arrive whenever you want AFTER NOON on Friday and stay for 2 minutes, 2 hours or 2 days! Some folks come for the weekend, others for a day, others for a few hours.

We will offer a bunch of classes as normal and as always we are open to suggestions and volunteers for classes Classes are optional, informal so don't feel like you "have" to participate. Don't worry about "performance anxiety" or anything No one will put you on the spot. Seriously, this is a friendly environment and we always encourage people to try new skills at these. This is the place to try new gear, ask questions of helpful folks that have been doing this for a while and LEARN.

Your welcome to bring your family. Everyone at these loves kids, but keep them from burning themselves, stealing stuff, running amok or otherwise going Lord of the Flies and everything will be fine. LOL

It's a PRIMITIVE campsite, bring a tent and your own supplies. Their IS cabins to rent at the park and others have availed themselves of these at previous, so you won't be the first if you choose to rent a cabin instead of camping. Location is six miles East of Douglas and Douglas has Superwalmart, hotels, dining, etc. So if you don't want to "rough it" but would like to come, please feel free.
Bring barter/trade items and it might behoove you to bring a couple bucks cash for trade/purchasing. These events usually have several people that bring a LOT in the way of gear.

Cost for the campout is just $20. for each family.

In the spirit of SELF RELIANCE and promoting the learning of skills (cooking in the field, etc) you will need to bring your own food. We have in the past had a dedicated group of 3 or 4 YOUNG men to cook breakfast from time to time but we will let them rest and enjoy themselves this go around. Their will be some firewood that I will bring but if you have any wood, feel free to bring it.

Now, for those that have never attended one of these-

What you won't find at one of these-
*Very much conspiracy talk
*Everyone acting like a ninja and going around all "tacticool" or dressed head to toe in BDU''s (we do NOT encourage that)
*Open display or handling of real firearms. (Sometimes plastic "red guns" have been used for classes on disarming techniques, use of space, working angles, CQB related stuff)
*Someone asking you personal questions- if someone does, let me know and I'll use them for choke demonstrations But seriously, we all respect each others privacy at these things, first names are fine. Call yourself Mickey Mouse for all I give a rip Opsec is in full effect. That means respect other people's OPSEC also! Don't be "that guy."

What you WILL find at these-
*In general a pretty damn nice group of people.
*Kids and women folk. Not always in great abundance, but they are there.
*Chance to talk/hangout with like minded folks in person, meet others in your area.
*Chance to learn various skill sets that people usually have to actually PAY good money for.
*Chance to test your equipment/supplies in the field in a friendly environment where others are willing to help you.
*Chance to checkout/test/see other people's gear, maybe some equipment you been interested in but wanted to see in person before buying.
*A whole lot of people with ACTUAL REAL WORLD experience in preparing, versus what you sometimes find on the net.

Their is a gate at the back of the park that leads to the Pioneer campsite. As we get closer and the park announces the code for that weekend, we will post the code. It's always on my cell also from the time I get it. Other than that, it's a simply drive on blacktop all but the last 200 yards. Small cars make it to the campsite without a problem.

610Alpha
07-31-2013, 01:34 PM
my boy is wound up tighter than an 8 day clock...running amok is what he does...course he's 5...and couldn't be quiet if his life depended on it. He did go camping this spring for the first time but I had to turn his "ears" on for him since he wasn't able to find the on button for his own ears...lol.

rockriver
07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
yahoo!
looking forward to it!
i remember 2 five year olds..
one was great. pleasant, shy. but no trouble caused by him at all.

another 5 y.o. played in fire.. threw sticks across the group. constantly putting himself and others in physical danger... parent(s) just sat there and smiled.

a great learning opportunity. a great time of fellowship. i've made a number of friends that are "welcome in my camp."

rockriver
08-07-2013, 04:07 PM
time for a what if...
you done loaded up and went way off from home to go camping with some folks.
it's been a busy day... sitting around the campfire at 10;30 pm.
you have no electricity cause you are in the "primitive" part of the campground. it's a 4 hour ride back to your home.
light comes from the fire and a couple of lanterns and your flashlight.
discussion around the fire has included all kinds of scenarios... war, economic,
riots, plague, bird flu, emp ... etc..
most everyone there is survivalist/preparedness oriented and has been for years.

2 ole geezers (co- campers) walk up to the fire and tell everyone that all lights/electricity has gone down in that geographical area. size of area is unknown.. the response is yah yah and teasing and ridicule to the geezers.
the geezers first question to the campers is "have you got enough gas to get home?"
geezer one lived 2 hours away and is inviting folks that if they have low gas they can stay at his home till transportation can be arranged.
finally someone goes to the only thing civilized in the campground, and tries to get water for more coffee from the spigot... no water, just sputters a few times.
now, the campers are beginning to think maybe the geezers aren't teasing.
what are the first 3 statements, exclamations, or questions made by the campers
that are not teasing/razzing back toward the two geezers?
what question would you be asking/wondering?

WiseOwl
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Well since I have 188 miles to go, I would more than likely have a half of a tank or close to it +/-. If the what if is true, I am gone. With wife and 2 boys under 6, gotta get back to the homestead.
If vehicles did not work, I am sorry my friends, I am humping it. My camping gear is my backpacking gear so I am mobile, minus the cooler and chairs which I will donate to the crowd. I now always keep an extra box of ammo on me during trips now and a case or two of water so I have the necessities.

But, I would question the geezers if they had taken their medicine first. :P Then ask if the cause is known and also see if anyone else is going north in my direction because multiples are better than solo. I try to have a contingency plan for everything but sharknado attacks

rockriver
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
good call wise.. "If vehicles did not work, I am sorry my friends"

in the "what if" geezer one will go check his truck and it cranks and lights work.
" " " --- yep, both geezers had taken their meds.. lol
" " " --- nope... "cause is unknown" they report.

since i came up with the "what if..." with a little help from some other folks!!
nope... i don't believe anyone is headed north...bad news... long walk... good news. your vehicle was not disabled by the event... just can't get gas!

good questions to ask... but not the answers in the story! i liked the one about the meds!

WiseOwl
08-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I can say now with my wild imagination and your endless what if's, there are going to be some fun chatter round the ole fire ring!

protus
08-08-2013, 06:03 AM
I can say now with my wild imagination and your endless what if's, there are going to be some fun chatter round the ole fire ring!

you have no idea lmao!!

(ole southern accent)
See,,what if this here old boy,,lets call him jim.. was out here, lets just say jim has a big old 4x4....and BOL...well id be wise to say ole jim may just get home, what do yall say....(ole southern accent) :p

dont miss these events folks they are one the best ones hosted in the south east IMHO!

WiseOwl
08-08-2013, 08:29 PM
you have no idea lmao!!

(ole southern accent)
See,,what if this here old boy,,lets call him jim.. was out here, lets just say jim has a big old 4x4....and BOL...well id be wise to say ole jim may just get home, what do yall say....(ole southern accent) :p

dont miss these events folks they are one the best ones hosted in the south east IMHO!

You going to make it?

We can have a "gear off"....... :) And what-if-a-thon!

rockriver
08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
discussion topic.. proposal
tim lahaye amd craig parshall wrote a book entitled thunder of heaven.
i picked up the hardback for $4.00 at lifeway christian on their discount shelf...
story line... american exec branch is conspiring with international big money men and foreign countries for bad purposes and iran/korea/russia attempt to nuke u.s. and israel.
here's the offer.. if you buy the book, i'll give you $3.00 for it at the campout.
offer good for up to 10 of you! (if you want to sell it!) by the way, if something comes up and i can't make it, the offer is still good. i'll get someone to pay up and collect the books.

i know this is a hard to fathom "what if" but, it might make for an interesting discussion base... oh yeah... in the book, american economy is crashing at the same time.
yep. hard to believe any of the above 3 items could happen in america.
(this is not a 100% endorsement of lahaye. for this purpose i'm laying down our differences!)
rr

Templar
08-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I cannot believe that you are scripting a "What If" !!! Are you part of some vast smoky room conspiracy??? How dare you presume to guide our thoughts , discussions , and the very dreams from our heads... That calls for a microchip scan at the very least, with further tests to follow.

Oh, the horror of it all...

justanothergunnut
08-31-2013, 06:07 PM
what might be the closest decent size airport to Douglas??

Templar
08-31-2013, 06:21 PM
If you fly into Jacksonville, Fl, I'm sure someone would pick you up... There are some small private strips around also.

justanothergunnut
08-31-2013, 07:14 PM
taking a second flight to a small strip near there is not in the plans.. It's all about $$ the flight out there is gonna run $800 or so taking a second flight is a no go.. besides I gotta sell it to the wife..lol

Templar
08-31-2013, 08:55 PM
I used to fly back and forth to Kalifornia from JAX, an if the price seems high, slip a day or two to either side. If you make the effort to come to a Georgia campout from Kali, we can do our best to smooth things on this end. I'm 45 minutes from JAX Intl airport, let me know if I can help.

justanothergunnut
08-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Not making any promises:cool: it's a fair amount of money that could go to other prep items but if I have a couple good shows between now and then why not,, I haven't flown across the US for a 2 day camp out in years.

WiseOwl
08-31-2013, 10:41 PM
gunnut, that would be cool if you came. Show you some southern hospitality.

Now, the Okies will have to pile in Grands "Shaggin Wagon" and roll out! I will bring the disco ball!

Matt In Oklahoma
09-01-2013, 06:49 AM
gunnut, that would be cool if you came. Show you some southern hospitality.

Now, the Okies will have to pile in Grands "Shaggin Wagon" and roll out! I will bring the disco ball!

perhaps one of these years but won't be this one at least for me
we are still working on the solar power for his lava lamp in the moon window to match the purple sheets anyway cause the randy survivor rider shaggin wagon just aint up to specs yet!

Lowdown3
09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
YEAH BABY!!! When the Grand Van is rocking, don't come a knocking baby!

justanothergunnut
09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
The fact that there will be "classes" will help the cause. It would be difficult to justify flying all the way over there to go CAMPING!
I could hear my wife now" so let me get this straight, you want to fly to Georgia to go camping with the guys for the weekend?" LOL... But if their is classes then hey it's for the good of the family! Anything else going on that week training wise? I may need to push it back to the Dec one. Hows the weather out there Oct-Dec anyways? Kalifornia survivalists are a little more accustomed to decent weather when we camp out than our east coast brethren.. Oh I forgot there are cabins..:cool:

rockriver
09-01-2013, 07:27 PM
just, i hope you can make it..

speaking of... cabins.. well... what if there was this ole boy, real green at this camping business, and well he'd been working to bring his bride for her second campout. well what if the campers on the internet were arguing about how cold it was going to get.. one would predict 23 and another would predict 28 degrees. well, the ole boy was trying to get 2 new couples to come too... real macho types. cold weather doesn't bother us, they'd say. so the plan would be something like.. the guys will camp. we'll put the ladies up in the cabin for sleeping. we'll share the cost and it won't be bad cost on anybody.. besides that, this is so. ga.. no way it will get to the low 20's!!
new folks agreed. 2 bedroom cabin rented. cold weather gear dug out for the ole boy. tent with a large tarp (tarp majal, but that's another story) 2 days before the campout, 2 newbie couples backed out... too cold!!
and too late to cancel the rental!! ole boy stuck with the rental!

ole boy went.. wife went.. she had cabin to herself.. and what if the temp dropped to 17!! the one water spigot froze!! the stew in the huge pot froze!!
well, a bunch of lessons would have been learned if this had been a true story!
if it was true, the ole boy, would have rolled up his bed roll late saturday and headed over to the nice warm cabin! if it was true the ole boy would've offerred use of the cabin to the other campers. nope.. the macho fellas would have none of that wimpiness. lol... what if ole boy had been drinking hot coffee and hot chocolate, trying to stay warm. coffee in means coffee out!!
what if... it's 17 degrees and ole boy had to "take a walk" several times.. talking about what a lesson that would have been! lol..

looking forward to it!! and all the "lessons."
rr

justanothergunnut
09-01-2013, 08:31 PM
LOL ooh Rockriver what the gift for waxing poetic you have... lets just say that there was this camp out where a man wanted to find fellowship around a fire in the middle of the woods,, staring into the flames he was in touch with his primitive man and enjoyed the bond , the kinship of those he swapped stories with was deep even though the tales of great feats of hunting and stamina were stretched to the limits of poetic license. The man knew that his journey had not been in vain. Though he had traveled the length of the land he knew that the hardships had been part of the reward and the man, though frozen to his loins under the strange stars of a distant land was content none the less. While images of the day passed before his weary and drooping eyes he mumbled to himself " to hell with cabins,, men sleep under the stars"

protus
09-02-2013, 08:17 AM
LOL ooh Rockriver what the gift for waxing poetic you have... lets just say that there was this camp out where a man wanted to find fellowship around a fire in the middle of the woods,, staring into the flames he was in touch with his primitive man and enjoyed the bond , the kinship of those he swapped stories with was deep even though the tales of great feats of hunting and stamina were stretched to the limits of poetic license. The man knew that his journey had not been in vain. Though he had traveled the length of the land he knew that the hardships had been part of the reward and the man, though frozen to his loins under the strange stars of a distant land was content none the less. While images of the day passed before his weary and drooping eyes he mumbled to himself " to hell with cabins,, men sleep under the stars"

lmao.

dont let my wife see that ive got her convinced sleeping under a sil tarp is pure luxury lol....she'll take my tarp away to prove a point lol

justanothergunnut
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't tarp tent but send me specs and I will bring you a backup.... LOL

WiseOwl
09-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I hope it does cool down a bit by then. The best feeling on earth is sleeping in a hammock when its in the 40's-50's at night.

Hitting the hills in 3 weeks for 14 miles, Looks like I will try and jump start fall with a fire dance :P

Templar
09-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Is anybody looking for anything specific at Bartertown? Extras to trade? One month out, time to start load planning...

rockriver
09-09-2013, 12:21 PM
templar,
bring the big truck.
stack it high!
tie it down tight!

helmets?
ammo?
camping stuff?
silver coins pre 64, silver dollars, eagles.
web gear?
tools ?

anybody need any 6.5 x 68 german ammo?
the swapping/trading at this campout has been excellent in the past.
lol... ?ratchet strap? lol

blackhawk
09-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Wise owl i will be bringing my hammock might need some advice so i dont sleep on the ground at 2:00 in the morn.

WiseOwl
09-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Wise owl i will be bringing my hammock might need some advice so i dont sleep on the ground at 2:00 in the morn.

Yessir!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!

rockriver
09-13-2013, 07:26 AM
looking for stuff for swap meet.
i talked to a couple of folks...

books/manuals on solar elec
body armor
pri g/d
archery bows/arrows/bolts/supplies

1Admin
09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
What classes would you all like to see?

blackhawk
09-13-2013, 09:31 AM
CQB,SMALL GAME SNARES,EDIABLE WILD PLANTS ID, TRACKING, HIDE TANNING,BLACKSMITHING, GROUP OR CAMP SECRUITY,SOAP MAKING, JUST SOME I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME NONE OR ALL

blackhawk
09-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I WOULD SAY GATOR HUNTING BUT GEORGIA BOYS ARE ALREADY GOOD AT THAT. WE USE BULLDOGS .

Templar
09-13-2013, 04:58 PM
How about some Dutch Oven demos/classes? I would help with the ingredients...Campfire rice preparing (Yes, I'm serious) in a billy or cup, maybe bannock??? Good storage food usage...

WiseOwl
09-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I'd like to see snares and traps.
More CQB stuff
Non katadyn/ boiling/ tablet water filtration

I can show a couple of different ways to start fire. Wet and dry tinder. Science projecting

A friend if mine went to a similar camp out in Ohio once and they played a type of hide and seek to show escape and evasion skills.

1Admin
09-17-2013, 09:52 AM
I wonder would they freak out if I brought a couple chainsaws and some longer logs and we talked about chainsaw use and cut some stuff I brought?

rockriver
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
i thought i posted the following earlier..
getting "sometimers' i guess!

i could use a class in chain saw sharpening and axe sharpening, if they don't want us running the saw!

Templar
09-21-2013, 08:25 PM
T6's schedule cleared up, so she will be coming along. My quality of meals just increased! It's nice to get out again. Looking forward to camping with like-minded folks again...

Regards,
Templar

WiseOwl
09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Would anyone have any interest in trading or purchasing :

I have 2 RKI 96" x 13" x 16" aluminum treadplate toolboxes that are brand new but sat in their original cardboard boxes for 2 years so the aluminum has oxidized, I believe from the humidity. I have cleaned some up to look better but they are toolboxes not Miss America contestants.
Would go great on 8 ft bed truck, utility trailer or in a shop. Have keys and all.

May also bring a couple of my backpacking items that served me well in the field.

A few coats too.

And good jokes for the fire.

1Admin
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
New Survival and Preparedness.com T shirts should be ready by the campout and I'll bring some for barter/sale. OD Green and Black this time with a slightly wider range of sizes.

We will likely do a basic land navigation class at this one with a short compass course also. Bring any maps and compasses you have to work with.

Gonna be more families there this year, feel free to bring the wife and young ins. Weather should be beautiful this time of year, only a "light snow" as Templar would say!

blackhawk
09-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Can we pre-order if so i would like 1 2xl and 1 large

Lowdown3
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Got ya covered and I'll bring a bunch to the campout, they "should" be done and in by then!

rockriver
10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I see the ad and discussion on the murs system...
ld, if you haven't sold out by the campout, i'd sure love to see a demonstration and explanation of how this could
help protect the home place or the campout..
just an idea.
rr

1Admin
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a plan...

rockriver
10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
weather looks great.
80 during the day 60 at night.
no rain showing on the internet...
must be right!
rr

WiseOwl
10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
weather looks great.
80 during the day 60 at night.
no rain showing on the internet...
must be right!
rr

Someone do a snow dance or a chilly evening shuffle!!!

So who is all coming this go round?

protus
10-06-2013, 03:19 PM
i cant...theres way way to much homefront drama lama going on..nothing bad. A good change for some ...and a change that needs acceptance/dealing with for others...and a going away /homecoming ..sending off......

sucks cuz i have a TON of homestead/shtf gear i wanted to trade/dump/sell....so much that it would rival any offerings and amounts that templar has ever brought with him....LOL.
plus i miss seeing old friends and folks who "get it".......

ill do a snow dance for you wise...may look like the truffle shuffle but it may help ;P

Templar
10-07-2013, 08:06 PM
We'll miss you Dave. It's always fun dickering with you, LOL... You need help with anything, let me know.

Regards,
Templar

1Admin
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Well damn, I was gonna ask you to do a "prepper vs. survivalist" talk for some folks from another board, LOL. Damnit Dave you ruined everything! LOL

Miss you bro, see you in Lakeland.

protus
10-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Its all OK temp. Just family issues. Good...stuff but major changes for my folks etc. Nothing crazy.

1Admin
10-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Just to be 110% CRYSTAL CLEAR-

The park IS OPEN, drove up there specifically today cause of getting an email asking if the campout was still on. It is a STATE PARK and therefore has not been affected by the gubmint shutdown.

THE PARK IS OPEN, THE CAMPOUT IS STILL ON

WiseOwl
10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Just to be 110% CRYSTAL CLEAR-

The park IS OPEN, drove up there specifically today cause of getting an email asking if the campout was still on. It is a STATE PARK and therefore has not been affected by the gubmint shutdown.

THE PARK IS OPEN, THE CAMPOUT IS STILL ON

Dang, I wanted to toss some orange cones.

1Admin
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
We will have the new S and P shirts there as well as some miscellaneous gear for sale- Katadyn water filters, medical items, MURS sets, PRI fuel preservative, some new Freeze dried foods (AlpineAire) etc.

Cash and trade via recognizable silver rounds, AK and Glock 9mm mags, quality 9mm and 7.62x39 mm and 5.45mm ammo always welcome.

1Admin
10-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Weather looks great, can be found here

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Douglas+GA+USGA0177:1:US

1Admin
10-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Gonna have a good campfire talk about group retreat strategies, as well as anything our resident "what if" master comes up with ;)

1Admin
10-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Don't remember if I mentioned this also-

Bring compass and topo map if you have one, blow out kit/trauma kit for a tactical med/hemorrhage control class/simulation, bring your eyeballs and A Game for a jungle lane observation course.

1Admin
10-10-2013, 08:37 AM
My cell is 912.375.1480 Write it down. The board maintenance might be going on over the weekend so coming here again to get it might not be possible!!

The park will give me the gate code Friday morning and I will put it as part of the voicemail message on that cell phone number. It can also be picked up at the front gate, just ask for the gate code to the Pioneer camp area.

Anytime AFTER NOON on Friday it's o.k. to arrive. Follow the directions in the OP and you shouldn't have a problem, try to "wing it" or don't pay attention to the directions and you might be riding around for a bit. The directions are simple but do require some attention paid to them. Another possible reason to have my cell number with you.

1Admin
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
The gate code for the pioneer area is 1780.

WiseOwl
10-11-2013, 06:29 PM
The gate code for the pioneer area is 1780.

See y'all about 10-1030am sat

Templar
10-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Back, safe, GREAT Camp!!! Good fellowship, no BS, real lively , well-behaved kids, and lots of good ideas exchanged. LD3, best campout yet! Y'all need to come down and soak up some snow in Ocala later on....

Best Regards,
Templar

rockriver
10-13-2013, 03:22 PM
amen to Templar's post..

a camper advised he was about to run for a county commissioner spot.
folks, getting involved. giving back to the community. is a good thing.
this guy will receive info most folks in his county won't get.
he'll have access to records, decisions, and be able to influence decisions.
this is a good thing.

I think adding applying for, county/state govt public service/gov't is something
many of us should add to our list of things to do to prep...
"the third question!"

a tip of the hat to our aspiring politician!
rr

Templar
10-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Here are the links I mentioned at the campout:

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/

Link for zipper sealer bags:
http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/vacmaster-vacuum.html?gclid=CL7CifPElLoCFfFj7Aod0FgAUg

Regards,
Templar

WiseOwl
10-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks LD3 for the arrangements and hospitality. My hats off (to show my young balding head)

RR it was a pleasure sir, hope to meet up again real soon maybe for some grilling and conversation. My son loves the sharp shooter and the glow sticks.
Templar, thanks for the trading, hope the toolchest comes in handy.

To everyone else, it was a true honor and pleasure to hang with some knowledgeable folks. December is a very busy month but if I can make it to FL I will.

I will be putting an invite out to all of you to make it to my annual winter camping trip in North GA in Jan.

1Admin
10-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks to Rockriver for the "Moment of Sam-lence" during the roundtable campfire discussion ;) It was nice to hear from some of the new folks regarding their ideas on the subject.

Great turnout, 35-37 people I believe. Good to see more families there again.

Classes seemed to have been well received. The observation training on the jungle lane was what I got the most feedback from. These skills are crucial to spotting the bad guys before they spot you and are one of many "building blocks" in good outdoor skills. For the folks that did that for the first time, everyone did really well. Four participants detected all 8 targets well in advance and didn't miss any of the targets/ "Bad guys."

The second time through following someone else that is doing it is often helpful to folks as well. This gives them a further opportunity to see the "clues" that gave the targets away and kinda program their brains to see them further out. Many whispered to me "you could see that guy way back there, but I almost walked over him!" It's all about the practice and experience in doing this. You don't want your "first time" to be on a two way range!!!

Compass class was very abbreviated as it was getting later in the day but a short compass course was set up and most went through it. There was two hidden targets on the compass course, further demonstrating the problem of trying to move by yourself, on your own- many things to multi task- run your compass, count pace, move quietly, watch for bad guys, etc. Just like real life.

Interesting to see the progression over the 10+ years we have hosted this campout regarding people, gear, skill levels, etc. Have a couple other observations I'll share here as I have more time.

Thanks for coming. Robert

WiseOwl
10-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Moment of Samlence!!!!!

Ahahahahhahahahaha

Matt In Oklahoma
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks to Rockriver for the "Moment of Sam-lence" during the roundtable campfire discussion ;) It was nice to hear from some of the new folks regarding their ideas on the subject.

Great turnout, 35-37 people I believe. Good to see more families there again.

Classes seemed to have been well received. The observation training on the jungle lane was what I got the most feedback from. These skills are crucial to spotting the bad guys before they spot you and are one of many "building blocks" in good outdoor skills. For the folks that did that for the first time, everyone did really well. Four participants detected all 8 targets well in advance and didn't miss any of the targets/ "Bad guys."

The second time through following someone else that is doing it is often helpful to folks as well. This gives them a further opportunity to see the "clues" that gave the targets away and kinda program their brains to see them further out. Many whispered to me "you could see that guy way back there, but I almost walked over him!" It's all about the practice and experience in doing this. You don't want your "first time" to be on a two way range!!!

Compass class was very abbreviated as it was getting later in the day but a short compass course was set up and most went through it. There was two hidden targets on the compass course, further demonstrating the problem of trying to move by yourself, on your own- many things to multi task- run your compass, count pace, move quietly, watch for bad guys, etc. Just like real life.

Interesting to see the progression over the 10+ years we have hosted this campout regarding people, gear, skill levels, etc. Have a couple other observations I'll share here as I have more time.

Thanks for coming. Robert

Ohh wee you fine girls know how to have all the fun!
You know just hearing some of this stuff makes me motivated and helps me know I am on the right path round here. Its one of my goals to be there one of these days to meet some of you all and learn a few things. reckon an ole okie could tag along?

Lowdown3
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Hell yes! Dude we will take up a collection of mustache hair and sell it to get you there!

"Matt once kicked a horse in the chin, it's descendants are called giraffes."

"Matt supplements his already substantial income by selling clippings from his mustache to police departments for use in bulletproof vests."

:) You and Grand need to make a road trip one time.

WiseOwl
10-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Hell yes! Dude we will take up a collection of mustache hair and sell it to get you there!

"Matt supplements his already substantial income by selling clippings from his mustache to police departments for use in bulletproof vests."

LD3, this is hilarious. I guess we can make a 'chuck norris/ tim tebow" like thread about Matts mustache and its super powers.

Guys, if you flew, I would pick yall up at the airport. If you had to bug out, I would resupply ya.
If you shaved your mustache and weaved it together, you could make a hang glider and catch a good wind east.

Grand58742
10-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Actually was planning on it this year, but Lyme Disease tends to cut short your travel arrangements.

But I can get in on the fun too:

Matt once gave himself a tattoo with a .44 Magnum

Matt once got into a pushing contest with the State of Kansas. The result is what we call the Rocky Mountains

The President once promised Matt a penny for every enemy he killed, so this is the reason the United States has $17 trillion of debt.

The invasion of Iraq was a cover up. Matt lost his mustache wax and the military invaded to find it.

Matt once told Jack Bauer "I did it in 17 minutes you pansy."

The End of Days doesn't exist. The only day that matters is when Matt shaves his mustache.

rockriver
10-15-2013, 12:06 AM
i'm a little slow.
jeff wasn't there but it seemed like it sometimes.
I did see the results of our wisened one after the shave.
he had it in special container.
i didn't realize the honor i was being bestowed at the time.
like a secret society. huh.

protus
10-15-2013, 05:59 AM
i'm a little slow.
jeff wasn't there but it seemed like it sometimes.
I did see the results of our wisened one after the shave.
he had it in special container.
i didn't realize the honor i was being bestowed at the time.
like a secret society. huh.

:(
(jeff voice)

guess it wasnt such a hair raising experience then was it,,

(jeff voice)