PDA

View Full Version : Florida campout/meet and greet Jan 21-23rd, 2011

Lowdown3
11-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Ocala, Florida campout
Date- January 21, 22nd and 23rd, 2011

Location- Lake Shore Group Camp, Ocala, Florida.

Time- Arrive any time after 2pm on Friday. Leave out by 11am on Sunday.

Food- bring your own. No planned communal meals this go around per the request of NUMEROUS people. In other words, plan to feed yourself the entire time your there.

Facilities- nice lake view area to camp at. Plenty of grass, some shady trees. A short 20-40 yard walk to hot showers, real toilets and vehicles.

Feel free to come for the entire time, the day, a couple hours. Your call.

Kids- families are always welcome. That being said, we expect you to control and keep watch over any children in your care. Their is a lake (drowning hazard) and a fire always going (burn hazard). Make sure your children know not to kick dirt at people, throw sticks and firewood toward people, etc. Think "church behavior" not out of control had 10 bags of candy behavior. Help the campout be enjoyable for EVERYONE.

Classes and other instruction- open to ideas/requests but as usual their will be numerous free classes. We have talked with a Florida Edible plant expert about coming up. That will take money however, so if your interested in taking a 2-3 hour edible plants class at the campout, chime in and let us know. Estimate cost for that class to be approximately $20. per person just for that class, which is EXTREMELY CHEAP and having been through one of his classes before, VERY, VERY WORTHWHILE. If you don't commit to this, we cannot expect to get him there. In other words, if you keep silent about wanting that class, don't expect to see it. We need to properly gauge interest first- that means feedback from you.

Cost of campout- $20. per family, payable at campout. These camp sites aren't free! This cost will not include the cost of the edibles class if we can get the instructor to come. Of course everyone understands that the low cost of $20. for a weekend of camping and classes is a good value.

Firewood- If everyone brings a little bit, we should be good. It's almost a 6 hour trip for me, so bringing a truck and trailerload like in GA isn't an option unfortunately. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to burn

Weather- is always unpredictable, plan accordingly. We can all hope for sunshine and 68 degrees when the SHTF but reality says it probably won't be that. As it gets closer we will post weather updates. Pack and dress warm, it does get cool even in Florida in January.

Look forward to seeing folks again!

Lowdown3

Gordon
11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Count me in for this one. I would be interested in the wild edibles class too.

Klayton
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Well shoot... My pharmacy tech training starts Jan 18... drats!!!

ibetiny
11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
A klayton
I've been a tech for 6 or 7 years, retail and hospital of you have any questions. Too bad I'm so far away or I would come too.

rockriver
11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
florida... is on my calendar!
i would also like to sign up for the edibles class.
i'm reading the $ 20 per family to mean that
this $20. would include me and the bride.
sounds like a bargain.
rr

1Admin
11-20-2010, 08:15 PM
$20. per family for the campout.

The fee for the edibles guy to come still has to be finalized. He charges $20-25. per student in his classes.

rockriver
11-21-2010, 09:18 AM
admin,
the idea of paying mr. edibles brings up another thought.
THANK YOU.
for giving so freely of your time and talents.
i've been needing some nuk reading equipment.
i see the yellow v 717 at the top of the page. i've got to go check the price
but if you've got a good set, i'd like to order one. if we could do the deal at the campout.
(i save some shipping!) and you or someone familiar with it's use could use it for a demo/class.
--
rr

birdseye.2
11-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Count me for both camp and class.

arcangel911
11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I will have to wait until I get my Paramedic schedule and then we will see...

I really hope I can show up.

1Admin
12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Green Deane the edibles expert confirmed via email that he can do the class on Sunday.

rockriver
12-12-2010, 08:54 AM
the great weather debate...
at a campout long long ago. there was a great and interesting and fun debate about the upcoming temperature and weather at a campout i attended... (as did many others here!)
it's been cold. real cold in so. ga. recently, causing me to pull up the weather. com and accuweather sites.
i'm just curious about what the professionals are saying about janurary in ocala!
so far, accuweather is just showing averages of 71 high and 45 low.
weather.com showing the save averages of 71 - 45..

i got these by typing in ocala florida. is there a better reference point?

is there a "better" web site?

any predictions? based on ga. being colder than usual... my early guess is florida will be colder than the averages! i hope al gore isn't offended.
o.k. let me hear from you florida natives.... what do the signs of nature show you? or just a swag?

Firedoc
12-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the campout. As for the edibles class, I've been to 3 and will gladly pay to go again. Lots of great info.

Spock
12-24-2010, 03:22 AM
I've been to one so far. bring a camera and a notepad folks. this guy is a human encylapedia and this class is MORE than worth your time and money.

littleant
01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Just found out my daughter will not be able to make it. Its getting harder to coordinate the work and play schedules these days but I'm grateful we're all working so I can't complain. My 16 year old son is very much looking forward to the campout.

He has been working for the last few months on creating and re-creating our BOB's and wants to try out some of his Christmas presents. It is nice that he's finally taking a more active role in family preps so I'm pleased with his stepping up and wanting to learn more about prepping/ survival. Glad to see he's not just packing from a list but putting real thought into why its in our pack and will we need it/ do we know how to use it.

On a related note, ever since I brought home some snare wire from the GA campout he has been interested in learning more about setting up snares for small game. If there is an opportunity for anyone to share their knowledge on the subject I know it would be appreciated. He's checked out youtube vids and such but as with most things there's nothing better than real time learning.

Well, just two more weeks. Looking forward to the edibles class, learning a few more knots and meeting around the campfire with friends.

rice paddy daddy
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Rockriver, can't say for sure about the weekend of the campout, but this week (the one before the campout) morning lows for the Jacksonville area will be in the 20's. The morning lows for next week, thru Wednesday, will be in the mid 40's. Keep an eye on the following site:
http://jacksonville.justweather.com/

rockriver
01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
thanks rice paddy,
i just checked accuweather. looks like i better get this cold cleared up before the trip!!
i've been avoiding the doc, but... saving that $$ may not be the best thing to do, this time.
rr

protus
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
should a fun time...........
as to weather i always use
http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Ocala.html
this place is normally with in 5-10 f of what it will be temp wise. It has yet to be so far off to make me distrust it. My bro inlaw that works for NOAA also gave it a thumbs up when i brought it up to him.

dunno if i'll be there all 3 days but ill be there

rice paddy daddy
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm planning on driving down on Saturday for some coffee and fellowship.

rockriver
01-13-2011, 09:18 PM
it looks like it will be a day or two before i can decipher undergrounds numbers.
accuweather shows lows of 37 - 33 and 36.
hmm. poppin pills here to get the ole head cleared up...
thinking about staying dry and warm....
looking forward to the trip.

Mannlicher
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Weather predictions are good for the weekend. Not too cold, not too hot, maybe rain on Friday.

Anyway, the weather is what it is, and no matter, won't dampen my spirits. Looking forward to seeing so many good friends again.

I'll be there early in the morning, as I want to do some shooting at the range. I have a new Wilson 1911 to try out.

1Admin
01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Weather predictions are good for the weekend. Not too cold, not too hot, maybe rain on Friday.

Anyway, the weather is what it is, and no matter, won't dampen my spirits. Looking forward to seeing so many good friends again.

I'll be there early in the morning, as I want to do some shooting at the range. I have a new Wilson 1911 to try out.

Can I get an amen? + 1

The weather always looks worse for these than it actually ends up being, well most of the time ;)

rockriver
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Amen!
from over in the corner....
and after a short moment
Preach it brother!

rockriver
01-16-2011, 05:02 PM
magazine??
folks, i started gathering up some items for next weekend.

i found a magazine that i don't recognize. brand name. in a box with my coffee pot and some items that would indicate i got it with a handful of "stuff" in a trade. i don't remember trading for it. "sometimers disease"

if you are missing a magazine that you thought you bought or traded for or had for sale at ga campout holler!

i'm posting this on the old ga campout also.
rr

Lowdown3
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
If nothing else bring it, someone may recognize it.

"Nothing bounces twice in Moscow" - or at these campouts ;)

rockriver
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
and warmer weather!!
lows of 51, 42, 41 !!

protus
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
and warmer weather!!
lows of 51, 42, 41 !!

35-42f for sat depending on location. for that AO plan on 32 and your g2g.....

Lowdown3
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
I'll be bringing some Katadyn Mini filters, medical kits, gas masks and PRI fuel preservative for barter time if anyone is interested.

Won't be able to bring my truck this time so I can't bring a truckload of firewood as normal. If you have access to ANY firewood, please bring it. Thanks

protus
01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
whens barter town open? i got some stuff i could get rid of...

rockriver
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
bartertown!

looking for
pri d and g
helmets
body armor
junk silver
--
bringing.
a little ammo 300
a little other hunting ammo
some commie ammo
round metal container with a spring inside.
used to heat up tools when used rapidly.
knife

Lowdown3
01-21-2011, 11:37 AM
They ARE using the gate code this year. The gate code is 1602. DO NOT lock the gate behind you when you come in. Please close it but do not lock it.

rockriver
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
good trip. i'm tired. good campout. as usual learned a lot.
dean was especially good. i'm going to try to check out his website and his utubes.
--
the cold makes me appreciate the 4 walls and roof back home!
rr

protus
01-24-2011, 07:02 AM
ohh it wasnt that cold ;p LOL

Me and msP had a great time. glad to be back with the little one.
The course was great.
I just gotta listen to him when he a says " it taste just like dirt..." and take his word for it ..LOL.....edible doesnt mean yummy yummy for the tummy....great stuff.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/camp2011007.jpg
wife and me's set up
on a "food" walk
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/camp2011013.jpg
the thistsles werent that bad imho, salty tasting but good.

1Admin
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Glad to hear Sunday went well.

My family did not come cause the boy had been sick for a week and the wife was for a couple days before. Why I thought it wouldn't hit me also I dunno.

I slept fine Friday night. Saturday I had a lot of soreness in joints and could never seem to regulate my temperature properly. Starting hacking pretty good and it went down hill from there. I should have packed it in around 5pm but I was really trying hard to be there for Deane's class. I've only been through it once before and I really wanted to attend again.

Yet even with the raging inferno Saturday night, and 2 sets of lightweight silk top and bottom, the DCPS fleece bottom and two tops, cap and gloves, I still would start shivering anytime I got further than burn distance from the fire. I noticed a couple people "keeping an eye" on me, and I think it was then that I realized how bad I really was. I hadn't been sick in the field in 20 years. I went to my shelter and started to lay down and got the spins. That was it for me and I packed it in at 9pm. I "lost" some soup and sandwich (the day's meals) on the side of 314 not far from camp http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/graemlins/puke.gif And I ran the heat full blast the 5 hours home and still was shivering here and there. Slept most of the day yesterday and still recovering today. Morale of the story, don't go to the field sick http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif

Glad Deane's class went well, hate that I missed it.

Very nice to meet Michelle and her boys, ya'll are welcome back anytime. Nice to see the familiar faces including those "Dawgs" http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hawkeye
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
A man's got to know his limitations...

1Admin
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
A man's got to know his limitations...

The flu will definitely show you that.

Hawkeye
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
The flu will definitely show you that.

Its also been known to CHANGE ones limitations...

Hope your feeling better.

Spock
01-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Glad to hear Sunday went well.

My family did not come cause the boy had been sick for a week and the wife was for a couple days before. Why I thought it wouldn't hit me also I dunno.

I slept fine Friday night. Saturday I had a lot of soreness in joints and could never seem to regulate my temperature properly. Starting hacking pretty good and it went down hill from there. I should have packed it in around 5pm but I was really trying hard to be there for Deane's class. I've only been through it once before and I really wanted to attend again.

Yet even with the raging inferno Saturday night, and 2 sets of lightweight silk top and bottom, the DCPS fleece bottom and two tops, cap and gloves, I still would start shivering anytime I got further than burn distance from the fire. I noticed a couple people "keeping an eye" on me, and I think it was then that I realized how bad I really was. I hadn't been sick in the field in 20 years. I went to my shelter and started to lay down and got the spins. That was it for me and I packed it in at 9pm. I "lost" some soup and sandwich (the day's meals) on the side of 314 not far from camp http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/graemlins/puke.gif And I ran the heat full blast the 5 hours home and still was shivering here and there. Slept most of the day yesterday and still recovering today. Morale of the story, don't go to the field sick http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif

Glad Deane's class went well, hate that I missed it.

Very nice to meet Michelle and her boys, ya'll are welcome back anytime. Nice to see the familiar faces including those "Dawgs" http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

this one time I had the flu so bad i drove home with the heat on full blast it was 130 degrees inside the car before I got home (heat on in summer!) and at the temp i finally stopped shivering. man. i hate the flu. one good thing about it I've noticed is every time i get it I never get the following year nor do i come down with a cold either. seems like the huge shock the system takes dealing with the flu seems to strenghten my imuune system for another year or two.

had it last year at christmas, this year....nothing.

Patriot Prepper
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks like I missed the fun.

Does that campground allow dogs? My dog goes everywhere I do.

Look forward to more events.

rockriver
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
i suggest you check the state rules... to make sure.
but it seems i remember a well behaved "taco" a year or so ago.
and i seem to remember feeding "taco2" this year some scraps.
of course if it is against state rules,
my old brain is confusing me, and maybe it was at that private facility i visited!!
but a well behaved dog was at a campout i went to recently...
rr

qrprat77
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
ANy talk of another campout soon? Or maybe a hurricane preparedness discussion?
It's that time!