JRH Products

Homestead /household things to check out now

Might be worth getting that LP tank topped off now.

Take a good look at when the last time you had your septic pumped. We just did ours and the original house tank had been about 10 years or so since it was pumped. Still functioning great for a 40 or so year old tank. The new tank on the addition got it's first pumping and we got 8 years off of that.

But we don't pour grease, oil, etc. down our drains. Honestly we rarely cook stuff that has a lot of that stuff. And Angelsoft TP evidently is the best option for your septic tank per our septic guy.

Managing some rentals now also for a relative I learned the biggest problem with septics is retards pouring oil/grease/lard down their drains and them using CHARMIN TP which evidently doesn't break down well.

Evidently greasy crap not only hardens up in your arteries, if does the same thing in your drain pipes..... Hurrah for bacon grease huh?

Hows your insulation situation? Anything you can do to help that? Our house is pretty well insulated but even little things like sticking a towel in the crack by each outside door helps. If you have a thermal imager walk around your house checking, you'll see what areas need more insulation and where you are losing heat.

Review your plans to run your home without power. For a lot of folks loss of power means loss of water also. Do your gutters need cleaning? How about any screen before rainwater hits a holding tank? How are you going to filter that?

What about simple repairs like a toilet malfunctioning?

It's going to be the "little things" like this that cause us a lot of consternation. If we planned relatively well we won't be fighting every day, but you will need to eat every day, stay warm every day, drink water every day, deal with your waste every day.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Excellent information,
    Thanks

Administrator
    Evidently greasy crap not only hardens up in your arteries, if does the same thing in your drain pipes..... Hurrah for bacon grease huh?
    I know grease hardens in pipes, since my husband was on the roof today running a 50' snake down the vent The problem in this house is the way the plumbing was run, and the drain layouts on the kitchen/pantry side are really inefficient.

I did manage to convince him that we need to top off the RV propane tank; otherwise, we're good. We can use the well water if push comes to shove, and we have camping stoves, grills etc. I may stop off and pick up a load of firewood tomorrow (when I go out to get tomatoes) because it's going to get cold for the next few days.

It's a good time to plan for disruptions, just in case things get dicey next week.

thanks for the reminders...

Blog Entries
    The Charmin that's like a wool blanket per square will clog a normal toilet.....deal with that weekly it seems at work. Lol
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    The Charmin that's like a wool blanket per square will clog a normal toilet.....deal with that weekly it seems at work. Lol

I'll have to post a pic of this.... absolutely disgusting- an easily football sized block of congealed grease/lard/fat that completely blocked the intake to the septic. After digging up half the yard at the place checking drain lines- the D box was full of fat also- we pulled the whole tank lid and found it.

"But she don't pour it down the draaaainn, she puts it in ziplock baggies..." Are you effin kidding me? POURS it (grease) into ZIPLOCK baggies..... Lying bastard. And in a few months he will wonder why his lease isn't renewed. I don't play eff eff games, never have never will, even less time for them now.

Got to update my playing plumber experience however....
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Administrator
    This is how some tenants treat other people's property. I hope they put down a security deposit to pay for this mess!

When I cook something that generates a lot of fat or grease, I let it cool completely, then skim off the fat/grease and deposit it on top of some paper towels in the trash can - unless it's bacon grease and then I pour the strained grease into a jar and keep it in the fridge for reuse. It's great for frying and maybe for making pemmican if I had that much n-r-g