JRH Products

Thread: Oils

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oils

So, we know oils can go rancid over time especially when exposed to heat. How do you store oils for long term? In an oil form or as lard? Also, I know lard is usually consided from pig, but can there be beef lard?

I ask, what oil or lard is best to store for LTS food that will last here in the deep south?
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Administrator
    Best: coconut oil, solid form. I just keep it in the pantry...for years. Pricey but so is everything made for LTS. As long as it's relatively cool, maybe 70F or lower, it stays solid.
    Better: EVOO and avocado oil. I'm still using some that is several years old and stored unopened in the pantry.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the info. i will look for coconut oil in solid form
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by prc-104 View Post
    is this close to what you use? It's one gallon
    https://smile.amazon.com/Hexane-Free...116232&sr=8-12
    This would definitely work for LTS. I may have to pick one up!

I buy smaller containers (many of them). Tiny hands need manageable containers. LouAna 100% pure non-hydrogenated coconut oil is my favorite brand, but I will buy anything equivalent if it's on sale.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    So, we know oils can go rancid over time especially when exposed to heat. How do you store oils for long term? In an oil form or as lard? Also, I know lard is usually consided from pig, but can there be beef lard?

I ask, what oil or lard is best to store for LTS food that will last here in the deep south?
    Keep in mind that coconut oil will liquefy if it gets too warm. No problem. Move it to a cooler location and it will solidify without degrading. I keep mine in the pantry and it stays solid. In the lazy Susan, it tends to liquefy since it's next to an outside wall. I measure it the same, regardless if it's liquid or solid.

Thanks,
    Gonna get a couple of the one's I amazon linked to.
    Much appreciated.