JRH Products

Thread: 10/22 breakdown

10/22 breakdown

most folks on here think i know nothin about guns and boolitts.... they are right...
    ain't got none unless you count the bb gun.
    --
    we had us a critter that was tougher than the bb gun, so i borrowed me one.
    owner was only one step above me... he had an unfired ruger 10/22 in a back pack type carrying case that he loaned me.. and a plastic jar half full of 22's

so. hooking the barrell to the handle was pretty intuitive. push up the pushpin and turn the barell!

came with long bullitt holder.. you 've got to push it in firm like or it'll fall out!
    then you pull back the lever, you can see the first boolit, lever slipped and slamnmed shut. shonuf the boolit went in the hole.

well, the front post has got a lil ole tiny brassy looking dot on it... the back slot is u shaped with a teeny tiny little groove just barely cut into the bottom of the U. that slot was right above
    a painted on white diamond.
    i wasn't sure whether to line up the brassy dot with the top of the U or the bottom or put it in the teeny tiny little groove...the dot was hard to see. not wanting to spook the critter.
    i gambled on the teeny tiny groove... well, it worked... critter has gone to critter heaven or nowhere, but he (she?) ain't with us no more..

--
    that was fun enough and worked well enough i got the bride to come out and try it too.
    we both had trouble seeing the little brassy thing... but when we put it in the groove we had success...
    iffin that gun were mine i'd put me some white paint on that brassy thing... any suggestions on something shiney to make the front post shine bighter?

i bet these things ain't very much money... i may go get me one... maybe wally world has got 'em! 150 or so? we'll see.

Administrator
    You can buy the case for $100...I think you're looking at a few hundred more for the gun

https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/buye...kedown-stocks/

Never bought one of those take down 10/22s Haven't bought a .22 in years but the last ones were those German .22s that look like an AK and operate pretty much exactly like an AK. Got them for training the boy 10 years ago. Need to pull them out and use them more.

Thought of our realistic use of ammo over 20+ years now at the homestead. Most of it has been .22 and 12 gauge. .22 for dispatching chickens when butchering and 12 gauge for snakes. A handful of rounds a year shooting deer in either .308 or 7.62x39 Shot a couple of wild dogs over the years that attacked livestock or menaced us with 9mm. That's our only "homestead" ammo use over a couple decades.

In a perfect world where we wouldn't have to worry about dirtbags trying to take your stuff, you wouldn't need a lot of ammo. We don't live in that world however....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

"dispatching chickens"
    ld, you brought back a memory!
    as a kid, i raised rhode island reds through 4h... sold eggs door to door, primarily on a pre planned route...
    when the hens got a little long in the beak, and the new biddies were getting big enough to lay, i'd put the older gals in the state market bulletin and sell them for a about 3 $$ each.. they were still laying.
    --
    a couple of times a year a number of them went in the freezer...

i'd hand hen to my dad, and he'd quickly grab it by the head and snap his wrist, chicken would lose his head, run in a circle then fall over... dad could snap em off as fast as i could hand them to him. sometimes we could get 2 runners at the same time!
    he got frustrated when i tried... all i did was stretch their necks! so, if dad wasn't available, i used the hatchet, or the bolt action .22 sears and roebuck.

dad has gone to glory. there are many skills (and experiences!) that he had that are lost.
    someone shout out..... i'm sure someone on here has the neck wringing process down to a quick snap!

Always like the ruger 10-22. Mostly a standard.
    Got a couple others, one was a metal part only found in the basement ceiling of a house we were tearing down, Rebuilt it and happy.
    For memories, then there's the .22lr papoose. the breakapart camper one. It's what? 50 years old? LOL
    BUT back to the subject, got the 10-22 breakdown down when they came out (it was an introductory price). Like it very much but not gonna replace any of my original 10-22's for another takedown.
    Ruger did a nice job. If I was gonna buy an American standard, it'd be the 10-22 takedown.

A doctor friend is from South America, I grew up with their family. I started having chickens in the backyard of suburbia in early 90's while still in Florida. Had to butcher some, wanted to see how "Mammita" did it.

She goes out on the back porch, calls to them, picks up on, pets it a little bit and then snap! Snaps it's neck like a break stick.

OK Gordo you do it- my turn.

I de feathered that poor chicken's neck six ways to Sunday while it cackled and the whole family laughed. Mammita's laughing too, gives me a couple words of advice between giggles. I keep trying, finally feel like the damn pita oops peta people are going to put me up for war crimes if I continue. Mammita cracks the neck like it's no one's business and the family has yet another great laugh over it.

20 years later I'm known for good chokes at our gym - "don't let him get near your neck". But of course chickens are still safe LOL.

Administrator
    We had a stump in the backyard and my dad would lay the chicken's neck over it with one hand and chop its head off with an axe in the other hand. Durn chicken would run all the way around the backyard squirting blood like a stuck pig. We found it quite amusing until it came time to pluck chicken feathers - talk about stink!! I'd rather collect a thousand eggs than pluck one chicken...

If my dad had shot a chicken in the backyard, the neighbors (who already suspected my dad was crazy for shooting a Thompson on our hunting land) would probably have called the county sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    We had a stump in the backyard and my dad would lay the chicken's neck over it with one hand and chop its head off with an axe in the other hand. Durn chicken would run all the way around the backyard squirting blood like a stuck pig. We found it quite amusing until it came time to pluck chicken feathers - talk about stink!! I'd rather collect a thousand eggs than pluck one chicken...

If my dad had shot a chicken in the backyard, the neighbors (who already suspected my dad was crazy for shooting a Thompson on our hunting land) would probably have called the county sheriff.

Makes me remember another fun story...

So I'm living in suburbia and it's a quote subdivision unquote but they did not have any HOA non sense. These were like probably 1/4 acre lots or so, practically a "ranch" as far as suburbia goes.

I put up a 6' stockade fence around the backyard and sides and back of the property line. I had maybe 12-15 laying hens, half dozen rabbits, a garden and would raise a batch of about 12 or so meat birds once a year.

As stated above, I never got the snap neck thing done so I capped them with a Ruger MKII. I never did many at a time usually so it usually was only 1 or 2 rounds fired, always almost straight down into the ground, etc. At the time there were no houses on 2 sides as well.

I was rotating surgical gloves from storage and wearing them when I butchered. Why? Cause chickens are filthy animals. I would put all the chicken remains in garbage bags which Otto the garbageman would pick up once a week or so. I tried to butcher the day before to avoid the stank.

When doing this, I'm in the back yard a fairly long time and needless to say cannot hear the front door.

So I walk out the side gate covered in some blood, with bloody surgical gloves and carrying a big bag of bloody "parts." As I walk out who is standing there other than Ted the friendly police man from the county. Ted's eyes get huge as he spies me in bloody gloves, covered in blood with a big bag o' parts. I immediately start talking "hey officer, I was just butchering some chickens." He calms down a bit and tells me one of my sorry arse neighbors called me in for "shooting." I explained that it was just a couple shots from a .22 on a downward angle to the ground to dispatch the chickens. He was cool with it but clearly wanted to get the hell out of there as quick as possible. I wished I had a pic LOL.

hmm... my turn to tell a tale! going to be hard to beat the boss.
    and mine aint got nada to do with a .22 so headed over to the short stories...think up a goodun on come on over...
    pull up a rock or a camp chair and let us hear it...