JRH Products

Small pieces of gear often overlooked

At our last Midnight Rendezvous 3.0 class which focuses on fieldcraft day and night both with and without NV I took a small sniper veil and draped it over a small "F" target.

Even though that particular target wasn't 2 yards off the trail, most of the teams going through missed the target altogether and the ones that did spot it were practically on top of it when they spotted it.

This is the type of target-

https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten...rget-green.asp

And a small sniper veil like this

https://camconusa.com/product.php?id=2

Made a target sitting out in the open practically disappear to most people's eyes.

Do you have a sniper veil in your gear? Perhaps you should.

I originally bought one of these 20 or so years ago thinking it may also pull double duty as a mosquito net- it does not do that. However you can dunk it in water (or a cooler if your on the square range) wring it out and wrap it around your neck and get a rapid cool down. Over time the more muted and torn up they get, the better they seem to conceal. My original one was shot more than a few times on jungle lanes hiding targets and seems to conceal better with the muted and sorted shredded look.

Waterproof gear bags-

These can range in size from small football size bags to bags large enough to fit all or most of your pack contents in.

"Back in the day" before the internet and before there was a 'tactical gear store' on every corner- we used to use military OD green laundry bags. I remember buying a lot of surplus one time that included some of them. WTH am I going to do with them? I thought. Some were the old skewl canvas/fabric ones but most were the newer waterproof ones. I looked and thought heck I'll line my pack with this. It worked and my stuff stayed dry on many a FTX where it poured buckets of rain.

Wasn't the most convenient option but it worked and they were practically free.

Now I prefer smaller dry bags for specific pieces of gear you want to keep dry versus one large bag for the entire contents of the pack. One of my packs have sleeping bag in a dry bag, change of warm clothes, watch cap, gloves, etc. in another dry bag. When it's cold and your wet, you string up your tarp, get under it and try your darndest to get warm. Having dry clothes at that point can be a lifesaver. Having had hypothermia in the field at least 2X, I try to take this serious.

Finally, what about a small towel?

I added the Snugpak chamois type towels to our packs years ago. Put a little thing of soap in with little bag with them and packed them away. I've used them after washing up in creeks before on long outings. They also work good for drying copious amounts of sweat off of you. A little over a month ago at Reece class at MVT after one of these exercises where we got jumped by OPFOR and had a running FOF battle over a couple ridges, I used one when we got back to the parking area. I got all my gear off and toweled off buckets of sweat. This was the only way I was able to slow

Newer style breathable athletic shirts can be used in the same manner and I've used to towel dry before when that was all I had in my pack. The Snugpak chamois don't add any weight and take up little space, but then again you can't wear them like the shirt.

However I think you could easily catch water in one and get a dual use out of that with it as well.

Gear should have multiple uses in the field.

When we were young we struggled in the field for solutions to many of these issues and largely just 'lived with it'- being soaked in sweat for days, barely drying out when the day was done and in general just bearing through it. I'm too old for that mess now LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    When we were young we struggled in the field for solutions to many of these issues and largely just 'lived with it'- being soaked in sweat for days, barely drying out when the day was done and in general just bearing through it. I'm too old for that mess now LOL.

I started incorporating backpack knowledge into my gear after my back injury.
    From style of packs, to silnylon dry bags,to fast drying fish/outdoor shirts which,,, are super cheap now. I've got a few in od that have built in face covers ( think balaclava) and hoods.
    To neck gaiters in the same fabrics in camo.
    I wish I could get a bdu set made from taslite fabric. Light as a vented fishing shirt, breathable, sheds water...double up or reinforce the stress points and they would be awesome down here.

The sniper veil I have 3 of then. Older ones were a softer cktyon...but I wash mine a bunch of times. I also purchased Camo bug nnetting. And iirc there was a place selling sniper veils in different patterns in 5x7 lengths..I have a digital woodland one.
    But it's not as double duty like the old school cotton ones, but is light enough to pack in .
    Treat all gear with permethrin.

Heck...look at foot ware.... my older Bellevue combat boot feel like cinder blocks vs the newer tech out there....

Good thread as always. I'm rethinking gear now anyway after my covid battle
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post

I started incorporating backpack knowledge into my gear after my back injury.
    From style of packs, to silnylon dry bags,to fast drying fish/outdoor shirts which,,, are super cheap now. I've got a few in od that have built in face covers ( think balaclava) and hoods.
    To neck gaiters in the same fabrics in camo.
    I wish I could get a bdu set made from taslite fabric. Light as a vented fishing shirt, breathable, sheds water...double up or reinforce the stress points and they would be awesome down here.

The sniper veil I have 3 of then. Older ones were a softer cktyon...but I wash mine a bunch of times. I also purchased Camo bug nnetting. And iirc there was a place selling sniper veils in different patterns in 5x7 lengths..I have a digital woodland one.
    But it's not as double duty like the old school cotton ones, but is light enough to pack in .
    Treat all gear with permethrin.

Heck...look at foot ware.... my older Bellevue combat boot feel like cinder blocks vs the newer tech out there....

Good thread as always. I'm rethinking gear now anyway after my covid battle
    I really need to rethink gear because I will be limited to 10# after my surgery, so I can relate with needing to lighten up! Biggest issue right now is that I can't unload all my gear (it's packed in bins) because it's too heavy, so this will have to wait. Right now this is the story of my life - having to wait, that is

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdnet View Post
    I really need to rethink gear because I will be limited to 10# after my surgery, so I can relate with needing to lighten up! Biggest issue right now is that I can't unload all my gear (it's packed in bins) because it's too heavy, so this will have to wait. Right now this is the story of my life - having to wait, that is
    I totally started new more or less and if money wasn't an issue I'd buy even newer or lighter gear..I only carryv4 mags on my chest, one inmmy belt( ability to carry 2).. 1 in my rifle. 2 pistol reloads
    Rest all.gets put in a small pstrol/day pack.
    Plus the reality of your limitations really does influence your choices.

not as glamorous nor as tactical...
    at sams yesterday,

i picked up a pack of 15 gloves.. nitrile lined. bright red on one side. dark gray/black on the palm side...
    i'm not sure what nitrile means , but good gripping power... might have some protection for the chemicals (roundup?) i use on occasion.
    i think the pack was under 15$.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Head net for mosquitos....or maybe it should be called a tactical head net. If you are sitting at LP/OP and mosquitos are flying around your head and you are swatting at them, you will give away your position. Sure there is spray that will stop them from biting for a while, but they will keep buzzing around.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotic Sheepdog View Post
    Head net for mosquitos....or maybe it should be called a tactical head net. If you are sitting at LP/OP and mosquitos are flying around your head and you are swatting at them, you will give away your position. Sure there is spray that will stop them from biting for a while, but they will keep buzzing around.

Therma cell and permethrin ftw.
    Those with NVG.
    TAPE over or paint over the viewing glass on top.
    Thermal would detect it...but..at that point...you as well.
    I balked at them forever...till I used one. They work.
    .mine is csmo with od pouch. Just attack it to your ruck and bam...no blood bats after a few minutes.

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, got the Thermacell, but unless you know how to replace the butane, or you have a bunch stored, the butane will run out. Back up would be permethrin or something else....but when that runs out you need something...head net....I can tolerate them on my arms or hands, but in my ears and eyes or up the nose not so much.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!