JRH Products

Thread: Drowned!

Administrator

Drowned!

After being out of action for the past couple of months following surgery, I was finally able to go out and pull the few weeds out of my containers. A few days ago I put in starters for the fall garden. That same day, we had monsoon-like rain and 14 of my peat pots (broccoli and cauliflower - the 2 things I wanted the most) appear to have gotten drowned, rotting the seeds, so I have 14 plants to restart. Some of what I planted is already coming up nicely, so the 'no-action' peat pots have to go. Fortunately, I still have lots of seeds; unfortunately, I have just a very few large peat pots left. I "may" have enough to replant the drowned plants, but Home Depot is 2 miles away so I can run over and grab some more. Maybe I will double plant in the large pots, then separate after they sprout, or maybe I will just plant the seeds directly in the containers in the empty space I was planning to transplant to. That will save me a trip to HD.

All this in my raised bed containers, which I've had very good results with this year. My eggplant that was so productive this summer now has 7 new blossoms. The white onions came out great, with some still hanging to dry. My tomatoes replanted themselves, so I've been thinning them out and added a couple more plants. Lessons learned about how big tomato plants grow and the effects of overcrowding in a confined space. The radishes, white onions, green onions, and cabbage I planted have sprouted already, and I have to keep trimming sweet potato vines that want to take over adjacent containers! It's still going to be a while before it's time to harvest sweet potatoes, if they take hold. My single zucchini is getting buds, but only looks perky right after it's watered.

Husband wants a new, larger outbuilding to replace the old metal one that's on its last legs, and he wants to put it right where my tropical plant bed is. On the positive side, I can't eat the tropical plants but I will inherit the 10x12 space where the metal building is now to add some more raised beds for vegetable gardening. Every dark cloud has a silver lining...

Administrator
    I lied; 2 of 7 broccoli starters have popped up. Zero cauliflower, so I replanted. 1 cabbage doing nothing - reseeded.