JRH Products

Thread: Drowned!

Administrator

Drowned!

After being out of action for the past couple of months following surgery, I was finally able to go out and pull the few weeds out of my containers. A few days ago I put in starters for the fall garden. That same day, we had monsoon-like rain and 14 of my peat pots (broccoli and cauliflower - the 2 things I wanted the most) appear to have gotten drowned, rotting the seeds, so I have 14 plants to restart. Some of what I planted is already coming up nicely, so the 'no-action' peat pots have to go. Fortunately, I still have lots of seeds; unfortunately, I have just a very few large peat pots left. I "may" have enough to replant the drowned plants, but Home Depot is 2 miles away so I can run over and grab some more. Maybe I will double plant in the large pots, then separate after they sprout, or maybe I will just plant the seeds directly in the containers in the empty space I was planning to transplant to. That will save me a trip to HD.

All this in my raised bed containers, which I've had very good results with this year. My eggplant that was so productive this summer now has 7 new blossoms. The white onions came out great, with some still hanging to dry. My tomatoes replanted themselves, so I've been thinning them out and added a couple more plants. Lessons learned about how big tomato plants grow and the effects of overcrowding in a confined space. The radishes, white onions, green onions, and cabbage I planted have sprouted already, and I have to keep trimming sweet potato vines that want to take over adjacent containers! It's still going to be a while before it's time to harvest sweet potatoes, if they take hold. My single zucchini is getting buds, but only looks perky right after it's watered.

Husband wants a new, larger outbuilding to replace the old metal one that's on its last legs, and he wants to put it right where my tropical plant bed is. On the positive side, I can't eat the tropical plants but I will inherit the 10x12 space where the metal building is now to add some more raised beds for vegetable gardening. Every dark cloud has a silver lining...

Administrator
    I lied; 2 of 7 broccoli starters have popped up. Zero cauliflower, so I replanted. 1 cabbage doing nothing - reseeded.

We had that problem several times with container planting. Had to shoot holes in the sides of the barrels to get it draining LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    We had that problem several times with container planting. Had to shoot holes in the sides of the barrels to get it draining LOL.
    I just replanted cauliflower with a different seed lot; that's 3 plantings. I better see some action pretty soon!!! My containers drain so fast that I have to water frequently when Mother Nature doesn't do it for me. I really NEED that cauliflower Patience is a virtue I have yet to attain...

Patience Grasshopper.
    Walk on the rice paper.
    <grin>

Don't forget.....
    Wax on, wax off.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by prc-104 View Post
    Patience Grasshopper.
    Walk on the rice paper.
    <grin>

Don't forget.....
    Wax on, wax off.
    The cauliflower has until October 1st, then it's off to find some transplants

Blog Entries
    I've lost stuff many times due to water....
    My area ain't the best..especially this time of year...
    Whole yard is sponge and gardens aren't any better
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    I've lost stuff many times due to water....
    My area ain't the best..especially this time of year...
    Whole yard is sponge and gardens aren't any better
    Right now it's perfect weather, sunny and dry but not too hot. I give the garden a spritz of water every day but just enough to moisten the soil. I'm hopeful but not optimistic about that durn cauliflower.