JRH Products

regrets... that sounds much nicer than mistakes... folks make.

as the country slides down a slope... getting steeper every week... what regrets do you (oops, members here don't make mistakes!!) or your associates make with hindsight?
    of course, i didn't do the following, but i know the guys well that did!
    ---
    storm came and knocked down a couple of hundred trees... guy hauled them to a field and burnt them... sometimes able to haul them to the road and fema contractor picked them up.
    now guy wants to buy a sawmill, should have gotten the sawmill before burning all that wood!
    ---
    a small property with a small house was adjacent to guy... guy bought the property and fixed up house for a senior relative.. relative went somewhere else to live and guy rented the house.
    rental went well then tenant got sick and house trashed. guy got frustrated... fixed house enough to sell it... sold it.. yahoo. he says no more rental headaches. BUT. if shtf. that brick 2 bedroom house adjacent to main dwelling could have been a wonderful asset for "guests" or long term team members. guy now has green backs in the bank losing purchasing power every day.. versus a liveable sound structure!
    ---
    guy had a small john deere tractor. needed a bigger one to move trees. (see first entry above!) sold john deere. to help offset cost of bigger tractor. dumb... that capable compact jd is racing up in value. and was extremely fuel efficient, very reliable and excellent at many functions.
    ---
    guy, was worried about financial markets and went super conservative. got low return. in the meantime, stock market raced up.
    ---
    guy had older model 4wd truck that was in great shape.. traded it in, to help lower cost of newer truck.. slapping forehead today.. trucks are racing up in value. new and used. should have kept truck.
    ---
    guy built a metal building with heavy duty concrete floor. missed opportunity to dig out in ground basement under building.. would have been a great place for storage, or whatever use someone would make of an underground space!
    ---

If you do this long enough you will make mistakes, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Only the proud claim they don't make mistakes.

Mistakes are learning experiences- the problem is actually LEARNING from them. I watched parents make a ton of mistakes, NEVER learn from any of them. Their is a part in human psyche that allows justifications of stupid moves, stupid decisions and poor judgements by simply re-writing in your mind outcomes, etc.

We've all heard this ridiculous cliche by piss poor parents- "well they turned out o.k. in the end." What is that really? A justification in their mind for poor parenting or complete lack of parenting.

Same goes with this sort of thing- we have to LEARN from our mistakes, we are GOING TO MAKE THEM. We have to LEARN from them, not justify them as "everything turns out alright in the end" fairytale BS. We are dealing in something a lot more serious than a fairy tale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    If you do this long enough you will make mistakes, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Only the proud claim they don't make mistakes.

Mistakes are learning experiences- the problem is actually LEARNING from them. I watched parents make a ton of mistakes, NEVER learn from any of them. Their is a part in human psyche that allows justifications of stupid moves, stupid decisions and poor judgements by simply re-writing in your mind outcomes, etc.

We've all heard this ridiculous cliche by piss poor parents- "well they turned out o.k. in the end." What is that really? A justification in their mind for poor parenting or complete lack of parenting.

Same goes with this sort of thing- we have to LEARN from our mistakes, we are GOING TO MAKE THEM. We have to LEARN from them, not justify them as "everything turns out alright in the end" fairytale BS. We are dealing in something a lot more serious than a fairy tale.
    I ran out of fingers and toes long ago trying to count my mistakes, but I learned something from each one. I can't say I never made the same mistake again, but in the process I did a lot of things well. Looking back, I could be saying "I wish I had", or "I wish I hadn't", but dwelling on past mistakes or omissions is an exercise in wasted time. Learning to make the best of reality, and looking for solutions rather than focusing on problems, has become my new friend...

And yes, we missed out on a lot of financial gains by closing out our 401Ks, but no regrets. "They" aren't done trying to get their hands on retirement accounts! They won't get their hands on ours...and I told my husband that I'm spending our $$ as fast as I can He doesn't even complain about it anymore...