JRH Products

do computer folks know very much about me?

years ago? maybe 10 or 15 i was at a gathering of folks for a few days... one fellah... (calling him mr. hat)
    hat gave a short informal talk on how we were all being tracked and info on us was being gathered...

his talk was too strong to me... i thought he was off base... maybe he knew what he was talking about. maybe he didn't.
    he didn't disclose detail of his work or job title.. his talk sounded too much like the book 1984 for me to take it seriously..

stumbled on this video today... that may be ed snowden... i don't know..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4gEZBz7e78

where ever hat is. thank you sir. i wish i had listened more carefully...
    video is on the internet, so it must be true...

my next thought is ... if this is true, what can i do about it today, this month. this year?
    we've just spent several days away from home. i was on the computer a couple times a day. my cell phone was in my pocket or on a table next to me the whole trip.
    hmm.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    years ago? maybe 10 or 15 i was at a gathering of folks for a few days... one fellah... (calling him mr. hat)
    hat gave a short informal talk on how we were all being tracked and info on us was being gathered...

his talk was too strong to me... i thought he was off base... maybe he knew what he was talking about. maybe he didn't.
    he didn't disclose detail of his work or job title.. his talk sounded too much like the book 1984 for me to take it seriously..

stumbled on this video today... that may be ed snowden... i don't know..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4gEZBz7e78

where ever hat is. thank you sir. i wish i had listened more carefully...
    video is on the internet, so it must be true...

my next thought is ... if this is true, what can i do about it today, this month. this year?
    we've just spent several days away from home. i was on the computer a couple times a day. my cell phone was in my pocket or on a table next to me the whole trip.
    hmm.
    Computer - ALWAYS use an auto-connect VPN. This will at the very least mask your location/IP. If you can, buy a VPN that will block trackers and ads.

Phone - Again, always use an auto-connect VPN to mask your IP. This may cause you some angst when you try to connect to specific accounts that expect you to be in a specific area. Don't just turn it off; remove the battery. You can't be tracked if your phone has no battery in it. Depending on the phone, removing and reinstalling the battery can be fairly simple (remember to take your case tool along if your phone requires one to be opened).

Yep, that's right
    And that's why ALL of the "new" cellphones no longer have a removable battery.
    Since none of the new cell phones have a removable battery, you should buy a bag that you slip your cell into and makes it go totally dark.
    Of course, some are buying burner phones, paying cash and then cash for the talk time on the card.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by prc-104 View Post
    Yep, that's right
    And that's why ALL of the "new" cellphones no longer have a removable battery.
    Since none of the new cell phones have a removable battery, you should buy a bag that you slip your cell into and makes it go totally dark.
    Of course, some are buying burner phones, paying cash and then cash for the talk time on the card.
    I'm fortunate to have a Samsung with a replaceable/removable battery. Guess I'm just not "new" 😉

well, now the world will know i'm pretty computer illiterate...
    vpn = very puny network? or visually prominent news?
    apologies.
    but that's about 95% accurate description of where i'm at..
    ---------
    thank you for the responses and advice.
    does anyone have an example or two of where and cost that i can get a vpn as wwd described... ?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    well, now the world will know i'm pretty computer illiterate...
    vpn = very puny network? or visually prominent news?
    apologies.
    but that's about 95% accurate description of where i'm at..
    ---------
    thank you for the responses and advice.
    does anyone have an example or two of where and cost that i can get a vpn as wwd described... ?
    I use Proton VPN because it's based in Switzerland and keeps no search history. I use the paid version but they also have a feature-limited free version.